We can assist with your pet’s skin issues.
The veterinarians at Suffolk Animal Hospital know how frustrating an itchy pet can be. We are here to help!
Our staff has training and experience in recognizing, diagnosing, and treating diseases of the skin of animals, including the ear, hair, nail, and mouth. Many veterinary skin diseases are similar to conditions in humans, and training in comparative medicine is important. However, most veterinary skin disorders are unique and may occur in only one of the many types of animals a veterinarian cares for. These diseases range from skin cancer to allergies, and treatment options vary tremendously. Skin disease can also present as a manifestation of an underlying internal disease process.
Common Symptoms of Skin Disease
- Does your pet constantly lick, chew, bite, scratch or shake his or her head?
- Is there hair loss, scabs or dandruff?
- Do you notice a change in the skin or coat’s color or texture?
- Is there a bad odor from the pet’s skin or ears?
Common Causes of Skin Diseases
- Environmental contaminants
- Mites (i.e. sarcoptic mange, demodicosis)
- Autoimmune skin diseases
- Superficial and deep skin infections
- Skin masses
Common Tests Used to Assure an Accurate Diagnosis
- Intradermal allergy testing
- Blood tests
- Skin biopsies
Treatments Dependent on Diagnosis
- Food allergy trial diets
- Special shampoos
- Immune therapy
- Compounded medications (i.e., transdermal medication)